Total Pageviews

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

One Year Later (sort of)

I'm a few days late, but it's been just about a year since I called the end, and a little more than that since I took my last Accutane pill.

First, it's all still good-


There are always a few little things every now and then, and I definitely don't want to make any presumptions, but if it keeps going the way it is I may have been lucky enough to avoid a second round of Accutane.

Which is wonderful. I know I'm a little biased now that I've been treated for so long, but spending another six months with live skin peeling off is that last thing I want to do. Of course, if that needs to happen, I definitely won't hesitate, but I'm happy with this whole not having terrible acne business.

So, like I said, it's been a year. And in case someone comes along that's in the position I was back when I started this, there are some things you might want to know.


  • I haven't had any side effects since I made that post a year ago. I still have a few episodes of really mild dryness that might not have happened otherwise, but it's not a problem.
  • My face isn't completely clear. A typical week now consists of having two or three small ones show up, with maybe one being distractingly visible, and they're usually gone before they outstay their welcome.
  • Yes, it's very, very noticeable to everyone that it's gone. Or at least it was back in spring when it was a new thing. I'm not the most sociable person, not the type that has constant contact with people, so I never really got friends and acquaintances stopping me and saying something about it, but if you are one of those people and your friends/acquaintances don't think they'll offend you, they'll let you know.
  • Additionally, being not particularly sociable, I can't say anything about the ladies. Or the gentlemen if you're a lady or otherwise into gentlemen. But I'd guess it doesn't hurt your chances.
  • I still wash my face once a day, even though I should be doing it twice a day but I'm a rebel so screw your rules. Right now I don't need any fancy things to keep it in check, although they're available if I need them.
  • Shaving is no longer a game of Minesweeper.
  • Accutane is still all kinds of worth it. Naturally, it's different for every case and the most important source here is your dermatologist, but if Accutane is being offered as an option and there aren't any outstanding reason for you to not go on it, it's six months of terrible pain and suffering to improve the rest of your life. Just do it over summer when you won't be seeing that many people.

So if anyone happens to find this and it turns out to be useful then my job is done. And good luck. Pass on the knowledge and all that.

EDIT: iPhone pictures taken in front of a computer screen at midnight are apparently very unflattering. I don't look this miserable in real life. Not anymore, at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment